If you read my blog post earlier this week, 5 Things Never to Say When Receiving a Gift, you may have discovered you are not the best at accepting presents or expressing genuine gratitude. Maybe you struggle with finding the right words, or feel self-conscious. Or just don’t know the way to say it and express what you feel. No worries.
Now that you’re aware of how you come across, you can respond differently and be a gracious receiver. People will love you for it, and you will enjoy gift exchanges much more yourself. Who knows, you might even find yourself the recipient of more gifts!
To begin, let’s go review those “Five Things Never to Say…” and offer better alternatives:
- Instead of “Can I open this later?” how about something more positive and engaging like, “Oh thanks! I’d love to open this now! – Now your gift giver knows that you’re excited to be getting a gift and don’t’ want to wait to open it. What a great feeling they get, knowing you are excited! It’s a gift giver’s dream.
- Instead of “Do I have to open this now?” Say “Can I open this now? I’m just too excited to wait.” Think about it…if they hand you the gift now, it’s because they want you to open it now. Otherwise they would have waited. Generally, people hand you their gift when they want you to open it. Don’t disappoint. Let them enjoy the giving and witness your response.
- Instead of saying, “Thanks. I have one of these,” simply be gracious and receive it well saying, “Thanks so much! This is a great gift.”
- If and only if, the gift is expensive and you have it already, your response will be a little more challenging to be honest. Consider saying something like, “Wow, I love this. I can’t believe how well you know my taste! I do have this item though. Do you think we can decide together on something to exchange it for?”
- Time after time I hear people (mostly women) lament, apologize, and fuss over the fact that they didn’t buy a gift as well. PLEASE, if this is you, eliminate this response from your repertoire. Take a breath and slip into the role of gracious receiver. Simply say, “Thank you so much for thinking of me! What a nice surprise!”
….and now twenty more choices to be a pleasant, gracious receiver this Holiday:
6. “Thank you very much. This is something I’d never have splurged on.”
7. “How did you know? …..I’ve been wanting a _________________.”
8. “I love this. It’s so unique.”
9. “What a great gift! Many thanks.”
10. “I appreciate your kindness.”
11. “That was very sweet!” (or kind, or generous or thoughtful)
12. “What a fantastic gift! Thanks so much!”
13. “I LOVE presents. Can I open this right now?”
14. “This is really touching. Thank you.”
15. “I’ve always wanted to have a _______________.”
16. “I love handmade gifts. They have such meaning. Thank you.”
17. “Thank you for thinking of me.”
18. “Wow! You really know my taste. I love this.”
19. “This is a perfect gift choice for me. Thank you!”
20. “I so appreciate your thoughtfulness.”
21. “Thanks so very much. This is wonderful!”
22. “I’m delighted. Thank you.”
23. “Thank you so much. I will treasure this gift.”
24. “How kind of you to buy me a gift.”
25. “What a wonderful surprise! Thanks for thinking about me.”
It’s not too late to be a wonderful receiver of gifts, acts of service, or hospitality this Holiday season. Simply try these responses and allow yourself to be a bit more open.
Regardless of the way you say it this Holiday and whether you find the right words, don’t be a Grinch! Enjoy and let the gratitude in your heart come through to those who love you enough to purchase a gift they chose especially for you.
THANK YOU for following my blog! That is a great gift to me!
Happiest of Holidays!
See you after the New Year with more of the way to say it.